Let us take a look at a few hair myths, some of which we may have heard at some point while growing up or may still hear today. If we do not know the truth then we will be unable to make the correct decisions. Like many others, I too believed a lot of these myths. Here are a few things that I have heard as a child and still occasionally hear today, all of which are completely false. The more we know about something, the more control we have over the situation. Always do your research and educate yourself about any topic you want to know or talk about.
1. Water is bad for your hair
2. Brushing your hair will make it grow
3. Washing your hair too often will cause it not to grow
4. Black people’s hair cannot grow long
5. Natural hair is strong and does not break
6. Kinky hair can only be managed if it is chemically straightened or pressed (eg perms, texturized, flat ironed)
7. Trimming your hair will make it grow
8. Kinky hair can only grow long if it is in dreadlocks
9. It’s ok to go months without washing your hair if you are using braids or weave
10. Using a texturizer will make your hair grow
11. Certain products will make your hair grow
12. You have to grease or oil your scalp to make your hair grow
13. Using products on your scalp will help your hair to be softer and to grow
14. You have to pull your hair or plait (braid) it tightly to stimulate hair growth
15. Dandruff can make your hair grow
List is not exhausted
Do you know any hair myths that you would like to share?
Interested in finding out if something you were told or know is indeed a myth? Please comment below or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org just type “hair myths” in the subject.